Sunday, August 2, 2009

HOW NOT TO CAMP

Well, needless to say, I learned this weekend that I definitely need more practice when it comes to taking my family camping! We decided to head out to Two Rivers Campground for the night, because for some reason, TJ has a burning desire to "enjoy" the splendor of the outdoors - how in the world did I get myself mixed up with someone who loves the outdoors so much????

Anyway, I was put in charge of preparing everything for the camping trip. So I gathered all the "necessities" packed them in the truck and as soon as TJ was home we headed out. We arrived at the campground around 6:30 and decided it would be best to get dinner started so we wouldn't have to wait all night. So, we started the coals and began setting up the tents - so far, so good. As the coals get hot enough to cook with, TJ asked if I had brought a camp shovel to move coals - oops, error #1 - but not too bad. At least I brought tongs and a hot pad!

Dinner was fabulous, so we decided to have some peach cobbler for dessert, we get the dutch oven all ready to go and start cooking and - oops error #2 - I forgot the lid lifter, well we improvised and used the back of the hammer, my idea and pretty inventive if I don't say so myself. Next, I would love the capture this wonderful family moment, pull out my camera, and wouldn't you know it, DEAD BATTERIES! As the evening continues, of course the sun is setting and low and behold, NO flashlights - NO latern!! Truly I thought TJ was going to send me home - but luckily, Alyssa had stuck a little one in that worked totally fine. Fortunately, a rain storm moved in and we had to go to bed early anyway - so it really wasn't that big of an issue to have no light - hehehe!

Moving right along, we get up and because of the rain, we had to leave the dutch oven full of water to remove the burnt on cobbler, as we cleaned it, oops- no oil! Oh well, the breakfast has enough fat in it to choke a horse, so I 'm not too worried. I prepared the sausage, go to add the potatoes, and OOPS - I forgot the potatoes - this really isn't funny anymore! So, we just have sausage and eggs on tortillas - and it was actually really good-lots of protein! For the rest of the morning we enjoyed the beautiful weather as we rode our bikes through the park and the kids went for a swim in one of the lakes. By the way, Mason enjoys the swim in his shorts - no suit!

Lunchtime is here already - and lucky for us we were just having sandwiches - with only bread and meat - oops (I think TJ will never make me go camping again!) Oh well, at least we had some oreos to offset the bland sandwiches.

Now, my family feels the great need to make sure I know how to go camping, so they scouted out the campground for where they want to stay next time. I can truly say, I hope I have the flu that weekend!

For all you nature lovers - HAPPY CAMPING!

4 comments:

Jen Giorgis said...

Oh Wendi...I have a rubbermaid bin that has all my camping essentials in it. That way when we decide to go ona whim it is there and ready for us. I just have to re-stock some things each spring such as batteries, bubbles, glo-sticks, baby-wipes...so on and so forth. It really does make for wonderful family memories even if they are not captured on compact flash. Try again, the more you go the easier it gets!!! It's really fun to go with a few families, taht way the things you usally forget someone else usually has!!!

Laurie said...

This post really made me laugh. I don't think Jeff would ever trust me to pack the camping essentials. He has learned the hard way.

Brezack Family said...

tisk tisk tisk...this, from a girl who ROCKED the TREK!! No pioneers had flashlights and they lived...barely!!!

Rebekah said...

Wendi! That was so something that would happen to us, except that I would have blamed Dave because he is the one that gets all that stuff together for camping trips. At least the heat index wasn't 112:-).
BTW, I left Holli with a check for $40 to have a camp ice cream party while watching the cd that Megan and Brinley were going to put together. How is that going? Can you make sure that is happens? Thanks!